Thursday, November 10, 2011
What I Learned from Intuition in Design
The reading was very interesting. It helped me confirm some thoughts I've always had about designing. Here are some key points that were very useful to me and good information that I did not consider so much in the past. Learning the essentials of deign is critical to all graphic designers because it gives us the foundation to start building from. Without a solid foundation, designers will run into problems, and as designers, we are visually trained to fix visual problems. As designers, no two designs we create will be identical, even when given the same elements to work with. Each piece is unique with a touch of the designer's style. I learned that there is a connection between conscious and subconscious mind in designing, where one influences the other. I believe that in the end rational thinking would be the main reasoning behind our creations but I was wrong. Rational thinking sometimes contains and holds back our creative intuition and can ultimately leave us searching for new and innovative designs. Intuition is one of our strongest tools to creating successful designs. Our intuition builds our imagination which in turn gives us the ability to think outside of the box and come up with fresh ideas to create new and different designs. Intuition should not be contained. Ideas that come to our mind should not be neglected because that initial idea is usually a strong idea and should be processed and worked on by the designer. Trusting our intuition gives us designers the confidence t o take chances and risks in our designs without worrying that it may be "wrong." Sometimes its good to just sit down and put whats on our mind onto paper or into an illustration. This is not to say that we should not use the rational aspect of our mind but it is encouraging us to not worry so much and just do what we feel and think may work, even if it's radical and wild. Intuition is a great tool and it should be used but not solely relied on to complete an idea or design project. It is the combination of learned knowledge, intuition, and rational thinking that will help a designer become more well rounded.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment